Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mashed Potatoes

(Part of my Thanksgiving Dinner for 12 for under $50)

And they were really mashed, too – not whipped! But whipping works just as well and you may not have a potato masher. I peeled 8 potatoes (they were pretty small) and cut them in fourths. I put them in cold water (you want to start with cold water so they cook evenly), brought them to a boil, then reduced the heat and simmered them until they were done. I should have salted the water but I think I forgot. When they were done, I drained them, but saved the water. I put the potatoes in a big bowl and added about half a cup of the water they cooked in, and mashed them a bit. Then I added about a quarter of a cup of whipping cream and a couple of tablespoons of butter and mashed them until they were nice and smooth and creamy. If you were going to whip them, you’d do the same thing except use a mixer instead of a potato masher. I tossed the rest of the water they cooked in, but you could save it and use it to make soup or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment