Saturday, March 16, 2013

Corned Beef and Cabbage Saute

The first dish, CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE SAUTE, is sort of a corned beef and cabbage stir-fry. I found the recipe in a drawer of clipped recipes at my aunt’s house after she died, so I have no idea where it came from originally. I usually make it when I have leftover corned beef, but I just use whatever vegetables I have handy. Actually, come to think of it, I really don’t use the recipe at all. I just saute/stir fry (I’m not sure what the difference is – maybe sautéed veggies are usually cooked until soft while stir fried vegetables are cooked only until tender-crisp?) some onions and carrots and cabbage, usually in fat from cooking the corned beef, and then add some corned beef. But here’s the official recipe. Take your pick whether you want to do it “right” or take the easy route. Either way, it should be good. By the way, when I was looking for recipes online, a lot of the bloggers said that they just start with a 12 ounce can of corned beef. Not corned beef hash, which has potatoes in it, but plain corned beef.

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE SAUTE

2 T cider or white vinegar
1 T sugar
1 t caraway seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1 small head Savoy cabbage – about 1 pound (I use green cabbage, which is cheaper, and I’d use about a pound and a half)
1 large carrot (I’d use at least a couple, or half a pound or so, but then I like carrots)
1 medium-sized red onion (or yellow onion or whatever you have)
1 lb lean, sliced cooked deli corned beef (or leftover corned beef)
Salad oil

Mix the vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds and salt in a small cup.  Set aside. Remove core from cabbage and coarsely shred it.  Coarsely shred the carrot.  Cut the onion in half, and then slice it. Cut the corned beef into short sticks. In a 12-inch skillet over high heat, cook the onion in 1 T oil until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.  Remove to bowl with slotted spoon. In the same skillet, cook cabbage and onion in 2 T oil until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add vinegar mixture, onion, and corned beef.  Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment