Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Roast Turkey

(Part of my Thanksgiving Dinner for 12 for under $50)

I thawed the turkey, then put it in one of those oven bags. I rubbed a couple of tablespoons of butter over the skin and under the skin on the breast, then baked it for about 3 hours. I find that the turkey comes out a lot moister when I roast it in the bag, even though it doesn’t look quite as nice. But it’s cut up before it goes on the table anyway (mangled is more like it, the way I carve it!) so it doesn’t really matter that it isn’t as pretty as if it had been roasted out of the bag. The time that the directions with the bag give are pretty close, and quite a bit shorter than if you roast it out of the bag, so be sure to use those directions and not the ones that come with the turkey itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment